Description of role:
World Class Defence Organisation based in Stevenage, Hertfordshire (the role will likely be able to be worked largely remote from home; 1-2 days a week possibly in lab up to 3 in first few weeks) is currently looking to recruit a Mechanical Systems Engineer / Architect on an initial 12 month contract.
This role would suit a candidate who comes from a strong background of working as a Mechanical Design Engineer, Mechanical Systems Engineer, Mechanical Architect or has experience of Mechanical Systems Architecture. A defence / aerospace background is ideal but not essential. DOORS experience would be great.
Contract Duration: 12 Months initially and then ongoing and long-term thereafter.
Hourly Rate: £65.00ph
Mechanical Systems Engineer / Architect Job Description:
We have an opportunity for an experienced Mechanical Architect to join the team. This exciting role is to gather and manage the missile mechanical architecture requirements to achieve missile performance, on time and on cost and overall layout vs compliance. This involves providing justification of the design and co-ordinate the verification evidence of missile performance to support certification.
The role is responsible for the delivery of the missile mechanical architecture requirements and typical responsibilities include:
- Establishing the Missile Airframe Task Requirements Specification (TRS) to ensure a structured & coherent mechanical response to the overall Missile TRS
- Management of the mechanical interface with the launcher
- Management of Mechanical & Thermal Interfaces across the Missile
- Defining the optimum mechanical architecture for all variants of the missile, ensuring the mechanical architecture and interfaces meet requirements
- Implementation of GMA Policies to ensure Modularity & Reuse objectives are achieved
- Development of the overall proving logic for the validation of the Airframe
- Ensuring mechanical compliance to the Airframe TRS for missile certificate of design
- Interface with and manage customer expectations throughout the development process
- Producing Statements of Work and plans for activities within their sphere of responsibility
- Direct technical supervision of engineers within their team and indirect management of engineers in the extended project team
- Controlling assigned budgets, managing personal workload and identifying any further resource needs
- Educated to degree level with 10 years’ experience or an equivalent qualification having obtained significant experience of mechanical engineering
- Ability to technically manage internal & sub-contract activities
- Strong leadership skills, able to establish a clear engineering vision
- Good knowledge & experience of mechanical design, including: o Static & Dynamic Analysis o Design for Environment o Thermal Management
- Good understanding of broader engineering disciplines, including:
- Experience developing proving logic and managing the generation of compliance evidence towards Certificates of Design
- Experience across the full Product Life Cycle
- Ability to influence senior managers and other stakeholders
- Strong interpersonal and well developed communication skills (written & verbal)
- Willingness to travel within UK and Europe
- DOORS experience would be great
Apply for this role
Enter your details and drop your CV in the form below and a member of the team will be in touch.
Sign up to our monthly newsletter
Enter your details and drop your CV in the form below.