Description of role:
World Class Defence Organisation based in Bristol is currently looking to recruit a large number of Safety Engineer Subcontractor on an initial 12 month contract. (The role will be split of working Onsite and Working From Home).
Contract Duration: 12 Months (initially and then ongoing thereafter)
Hourly Rate: Negotiable (the dept are happy to consider market rates)
Safety Engineer Job Description:
An opportunity has arisen for an engineer to exploit their safety engineering skills to influence the safety aspects of one of our technically complex products. While exploring the boundaries of best practice, this will involve optimising the effort devoted to safety assurance, with the goal of balancing safety against the inherently lethal attributes required of complex weapon systems.
The role is to deliver the safety analysis that will enable one of our existing products to be integrated onto a new platform. This will involve working closely with internal MBDA delivery teams, as well as an external, non-UK prime contractor and a non-UK customer. The successful candidate will be required to liaise with key stakeholders (including, but not necessarily limited to, the external customer, the platform authority and stakeholders within MBDA) to help define the safety boundary for the development of MBDA’s safety claims, assist in the production of the associated Safety Management Plan and to deliver the required safety analyses. The initial emphasis will be progression of the Hazard Analysis, development of a Functional Failure Analysis and support to the development of an appropriate safety architecture (which will include a focus on the electronic and programmable aspects and the associated functional requirements).
In support of this, experience of the following is expected:
- Hazard identification exercises (such as SWIFT and HAZOP);
- Hazard management and risk analysis, including fault tree and event tree analyses;
- Construction of safety arguments and their contribution to ALARP statements;
- Provision of support to internal and external project Safety Panels and Committees;
- Assisting in the management and integration of these activities with system engineering and design programs to ensure the timely delivery of material supporting the safety case;
- Liaising with other functions in order to derive safety requirements and hazards;
- Working with systems teams in order to demonstrate satisfaction of safety requirements;
- Understanding of DEF-STAN 00-056 (and, ideally, other similar international standards), including the ability to write Safety Management Plans that meet its requirements;
- IEC 61508/DO178C/DO-254 experience (desirable).
Demonstrable knowledge of, and experience in, the application of UK and International system engineering processes, particularly in safety-related systems and safety assessment processes.
- Thorough understanding and experience of how the hazard analysis process integrates with the system engineering process to influence the design.
- Ability to deliver supporting information (Safety Case Reports, Hazard Analysis, Functional Failure Analysis, FTA, etc).
- Detailed electronic engineering experience is highly desirable (education to degree or HND level or a comparable level of experience is preferred). Experience of other engineering disciplines (design, software, manufacture, etc.) is also desirable.
- Track record as an effective team player with strong interpersonal and influencing skills and the ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary / multi-national team.
- Stakeholder management.
- Customer/supplier interfacing skills.
Apply for this role
Enter your details and drop your CV in the form below and a member of the team will be in touch.
Sign up to our monthly newsletter
Enter your details and drop your CV in the form below.